In recent years, many software firms are turning towards the use of DevOps Services to build their applications. DevOps has been providing a much faster time for the marketing of the software. It provides a platform for deploying applications in the cloud environment i.e., Cloud DevOps. There are many companies that provide Cloud DevOps Security consultation. So the vulnerabilities that lie within the software are exposed, which initiates the necessity of a security strategy to be implemented for the application development right from its early stages, and not just at the end to prevent & overcome any of the unanticipated problems. Now, with the use of DevOps for software development, novel strategies need to be in place to embed security aspects in the development to ensure that the software is not vulnerable to the various attacks by hackers or malicious users. So, the answer that software developers are looking for is DevSecOps.
DevSecOps – For the Filling of the Gaps between IT & the Security!
DevSecOps is about including security from the early stages of the application development life cycle rather than the last stages, minimizing the vulnerabilities and bringing security closer to IT and business objectives. Basically, DevSecOps means parallel activities of development, security, and operations, making everyone accountable for the implementation of security strategies. DevSecOps is about collaboration mainly. This is an objective to fill the gaps between security teams & developers and the DevOps teams for ensuring a smooth as well as secured deployment & development procedure. The integration of security into the DevOps framework can be completed smoothly using the proper DevSecOps tools and processes.
Read More - The Fusion of DevOps and Agile
The 6 Important Components of a DevSecOps Approach
- Analyse the code in small chunks for any possible vulnerabilities and errors so that they can be fixed quickly.
- Ask for changes from all the people working on the project, allowing efficiency, and later find out whether the change is good or not.
- Another aspect is of compliance monitoring, wherein, one has to be ready for the audits at any given point of time.
- One more important component of a DevSecOps approach is to identify the potential threats emerging with the code updates, and to be capable of responding to them quickly.
- Identify and assess new vulnerabilities by analysing the new part of the code and fix them.
- Train the team to deal with the situations that lead to vulnerabilities and the security measures that have to be used to overcome the crisis.
10 Ways to Implement DevSecOps
Create a group of professionals consisting of developers, admins, security engineers, and testers who are well versed with your application completely as they know the detailed requirements and are experts in monitoring, implementing, and monitoring the newly accommodated changes. Next, follow the steps below:
- Devise a Detailed Plan: Draw out the detailed plans for the entire application and plan the activities accordingly. The user stories should consist of functional and non-functional requirements; the designs of the user interface should have criteria for acceptance test, define the threat models.
- Into Development: Start off the development using the practices defined; select the resources to develop a model compatible with the security measures.
- Adopt Automated Tools: Automated build tools are used for carrying out the development based on a test-driven approach, the tool uses best security practices for static code analysis by implementing quality standards.
- Testing of the Code Modules: DevSecOps environment should focus on running all types of tests on each and every block of code. The tests should compose of unit testing, API testing, database testing, passive security testing, back-end testing, and also UI testing.
- Address the Threats: As all the stages of product development in DevSecOps environment are carried out in parallel, all you need to do is check for potential vulnerabilities and see if they pose a significant threat to the application and the data or are they false positives.
- Deployment of the Application: Use of automated tools accelerates the deployment of the application, check for the compatibility in cloud environments. And check for any threats.
- Operation: Maintenance and upgrades should be performed on a routine basis. Continuously check for new vulnerabilities and apply the updates regularly.
- Monitor: Post-deployment, monitoring the application, and its data in real-time is essential. Check its performance. If you find any problems, then fix them.
- Scalability: Scaling of the infrastructure over cloud services should not compromise the application functionality, performance, and security. It should continue to provide the designated services accurately.
- Open for Adaptation: The application should be open for new modifications as and when required in the DevSecOps environment.
Lastly, DevSecOps will stay around for a longer time in this industry. If you have not started using DevSecOps, then do think about it.
Related Reading - Realistic Challenges Faced for Implementing DevOps in an Organization
Are You Looking for DevSecOps Inclusion?
Having a dynamic staff to assist you, AddWebSolution can help you in providing services for switching to DevSecOps by providing services such as DevOps Services for cloud DevOps, consultation for DevOps.